Monday 25 June 2012

My program started today, Vice Chancellor Maharaj called one Swami here and he gave me a lesson and told me to learn the Sanskrit alphabet asap.  This language is really insane, each letter represents a specific sound created by the specific action of your tongue against specific different parts of your mouth, as well as actions of the windpipe and lips.  Some of the sounds virtually don't exist at all in American English so needless to say it will be hard.  The letters are drawn in a very specific way and are many are more complicated than Roman script (http://sk.tititudorancea.org/z/devanagari_sanskrit_alphabet_consonants.htm?exitframe=y).   

So needless to say I just got a lot busier, I was just kind of floating around spending time here or there doing nothing, but now I'm really busy.  This school is in a Sanskrit medium, the kids need to learn some things before so the first semester of half the classes is in a Bengali medium, but after that it goes to Sanskrit like the rest.  This is fine for Bengali kids, because Bengali has a lot in common with Sanskrit, so they can pick it up easily if they just have to sink or swim in it I guess.  But my case is different, I know virtually nothing and until I do I can't join the regular classes.

I'm now racing against time, I have less than a week before school starts and the faster I can get my shit together the better chance I have of starting regular classes sooner rather than later. 

But I'll still have a little bit of time, tomorrow I'm going to Dakshineswar in the morning and I hope to get some good pictures to post.  The blog may suffer because I am now busy, but I think I will still be able to keep putting stuff up.

Thanks for all the support, I'm glad to be back under the gun with school, it's been too long.

Good Night,
Kamal

No comments:

Post a Comment